Entering the Netherlands is a breeze, assuming your papers are in order.

Customs Regulations

For visitors from EU countries, limits only apply for excessive amounts. Log on to www.belastingdienst.nl for details.

Residents of non-EU countries are limited to the following:

Alcohol 1L of spirits, 4L wine or 16L beer.

Coffee 500g of coffee, or 200g of coffee extracts or coffee essences.

Perfume Up to €430 in value.

Tea 100g of tea, or 40g of tea extracts or tea essences.

Tobacco 200 cigarettes, or 250g of tobacco (shag or pipe tobacco), or 100 cigarillos, or 50 cigars.


Generally not required for stays up to three months. Some nationalities require a Schengen visa.

More Information

Tourists from nearly 60 countries – including Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea, the USA and most of Europe – need only a valid passport to visit the Netherlands for up to three months. EU nationals can enter for three months with their national identity card or a passport.

Nationals of most other countries need a Schengen visa, valid within the EU member states (except the UK and Ireland), plus Norway and Iceland, for 90 days within a six-month period. Schengen visas are issued by Dutch embassies or consulates overseas and can take a while to process (up to two months). You'll need a passport that's valid until at least three months after your visit, and will have to prove you have sufficient funds for your stay and return journey.

The Netherlands Foreign Affairs Ministry (www.government.nl) lists consulates and embassies around the world. Visas and extensions are handled by the Immigratie en Naturalisatiedienst (Immigration & Naturalisation Service; www.ind.nl). Study visas must be applied for via your college or university in the Netherlands.