There are plenty of cool bars and beer specialists around Vondelpark, plus club nights at former squats and even an old school.
Local Knowledge: Jan Pieter Heijestraat
One of the most happening-right-now streets in the 'hood is back-street artery Jan Pieter Heijestraat, which runs south from Kinkerstraat to Overtoom. Hip bars, great local restaurants and out-of-the-box shops continue to pop up here, thanks in large part to the street's proximity to the cultural and design complex De Hallen.
Hotspots to watch out for:
- BarBrå House-party-style hang-out with mismatched vintage furniture.
- Golden Brown Bar A JPH trendsetter.
- Beer Baum Craft beer cold in the fridge and on tap to be bottled.
- Holy Ravioli Restaurant supplier that does delicious take-away pastas, too.
- Deegrollers Sociable spot for wood-fired pizza.
- Saffraan Old-school-style deli-bistro.
- Johnny at the Spot Globally sourced edgy fashion and homewares.