Budget: Less than D1500
- Room in a budget guesthouse: D800
- Sandwich or shwarma (kebab): D200
- Soft drink: D80
- Local bus ride: D20
- B&B room near the beach: D1600
- Lunch at an oceanfront restaurant: D450
- Bottle of beer: D100
- Short shared taxi ride: D100
Top End: More than D3500
- Boutique hotel room: D3600
- Dinner for two at a high-end restaurant: D1800
- Glass of wine: D120
- Three-hour river cruise: D2600
Bargaining is expected in markets. Most vendors will quote a much inflated starting price, anticipating buyers will negotiate before committing. There's no real rule of thumb – some say start at one-third of the asking price and negotiate your way up.
Bargaining is also in order when it comes to private taxis. Always agree on a price before getting in.