Lonely Planet (www.lonelyplanet.com/thailand) Destination information, hotel bookings, traveller forum and more.
Koh Samui (www.kosamui.com) Handy A-Z of listings and things to do.
Island Info Koh Samui (www.islandinfokohsamui.com) Reams of useful hints, tips and info.
- Start your day on the east coast for sunrise and make your way west for sunset.
- Avoid buying paracetamol, sunscreen and insect repellent from the rip-off pharmacies – try the convenience stores.
- If riding a scooter or motorbike, just go slow and wear a helmet.
What to Take
- Sun-cream – more than you may need, it's very expensive on Ko Samui.
- Insect repellent
- International Driving License
- Electrical adaptor for two prong or flat sockets
- Thai phrasebook
- Hat and sunglasses
- Medical kit
What to Wear
- Light, loose-fitting clothing
- Clothes that cover your elbows and knees when visiting temples
- A crash helmet if driving a scooter or motorbike
- A sunhat
- Ensure your passport is valid for at least six months.
- Get a visa if visiting for more than 30 days.
- Check your vaccinations are up to date.
- Get driving insurance and an international driving permit.
- Arrange appropriate travel insurance.
- Get medical clearance if planning on scuba diving.
- Inform your bank and credit card company of your travel plans.