Dangers & Annoyances
- Take extreme care when driving from Ban Khlong Son south to Hat Sai Khao, as the road is steep and treacherous, with several hairpin turns. There are mud slides and poor conditions during storms. If you do rent a motorbike, ride carefully between Hat Kaibae and Lonely Beach, especially in the rainy season. Wear protective clothing when riding on a motorcycle.
- The police conduct regular drug raids on the island’s accommodation. If you get caught with narcotics, you could face heavy fines or imprisonment.
- Be aware of the cheap minibus tickets from Siem Reap to Ko Chang; these usually involve some sort of time- and money-wasting commission scam.
- Ko Chang is considered a low-risk malarial zone, meaning that liberal use of mosquito repellent is probably an adequate precaution.
Head to the tourist police station in Khlong Prao for any need.
There are banks with ATMs and exchange facilities along all the west-coast beaches.
Ko Chang Post Office At the far southern end of Hat Sai Khao.
- The free magazine Koh Chang Guide (www.koh-chang-guide.com) is widely available on the island and has handy beach maps.
- The comprehensive website I Am Koh Chang (www.iamkohchang.com) is a labour of love from an irreverent Brit living on the island. It's jam-packed with opinion and information.
Nuttakit Tour The first agency on the right after entering Bang Bao's pier itself, this is a step ahead of the rest, with helpful English-speaking staff who can arrange tailored boat trips as well as the usual excursions.