Here are the terms and conditions which will apply to your entry. Please read them carefully as they contain important information you need to know!
1. Lonely Planet Publications Inc. of 124 Linden Street, Oakland, California, 94607, USA (“Sponsor”) is the promoter. Our friends over at Qantas Airways Limited of 8000 World Way West, Level 2, Los Angeles, California, 90045, USA (“Qantas”) AND Destination New South Wales of 2029 Century Park East, Suite 3150, Los Angeles, CA 90067, USA (“DNSW”) are the promotional partners (together referred to as “Partners”).
2. You can enter between on February 14, 2019 at 10:00am PST (“Opening Date”) AND April 28, 2019 at 11:59pm PDT (“Closing Date”).
3. This Sweepstakes is open to legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia aged 21 or over, except if you (or your immediate family or housemates) are employees or contractors of Sponsor, the Partners, or subsidiaries or parent or affiliated companies. The laws in some places will not allow the Sponsor to run this Sweepstakes, so the Sweepstakes and these terms and conditions are void in those places.
4. Information about the Grand Prize and how to enter form part of these conditions of entry.
5. Any notifications and changes to these terms and conditions will be published on the Sweepstakes entry page https://www.lonelyplanet.com/sydney-sweepstakes, so you should check this page regularly
6. These terms are governed by the laws of the state of Tennessee, USA.
7. This Sweepstakes is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook or Instagram. You understand that you are providing your information to Sponsor and the Partners and not to Facebook or Instagram, and you completely release Facebook and Instagram from any claims in relation to this Sweepstakes.
You must comply with all applicable laws and regulations including the Twitter Rules. Anyone found to use multiple accounts to enter will be ineligible to win. Multiple entries in a single day will not be accepted.
How to enter
8. To enter, go to https://www.lonelyplanet.com/sydney-sweepstakes and complete the entry form. You don’t have to buy anything to enter. By entering, you agree that all of your entry is your own work.
9. You can only enter once we’ll make confetti out of any extra entries you submit. Your entry is received at the time the Sponsor receives it. Incomplete and invalid entries will not be accepted. If your entry gets lost in cyberspace or doesn’t arrive for any other reason, that’s not the Sponsor’s fault.
10. Only one (1) Grand Prize will be awarded. The “Grand Prize” will, consisting of a trip for the eligible Grand Prize Winner and one (1) adult travel companion to Sydney, Australia (“Destination City”). Both the Grand Prize Winner and guest must be over 21 years old at the date of travel. The trip includes the following:
(i) One (1) round trip (“R/T”) economy class airfare for two (2) people to Sydney from the U.S. Qantas codeshare airport that is nearest to the Grand Prize Winner’s hometown, (as determined at Qantas’ sole discretion and subject to conditions set out in these terms) (provided by Qantas – ARV USD $3,000.00).
(ii) Four (4) nights, twin share accommodation in Sydney (provided by DNSW – ARV USD $864.00)
(iii) One (1) Sydney Opera House Tour for two (2) people (provided by DNSW – ARV USD $72.00)
(iv) One (1) Sydney Harbour Sightseeing Cruise for two (2) people (provided by DNSW – ARV USD $100.00)
(v) Sydney airport/hotel return transfers (provided by DNSW – ARV USD $108.00)
(vi) One (1) Fully escorted 4WD eco-tour of the World Heritage listed Blue Mountains for two (2) people (provided by DNSW – ARV USD $396.00)
(vii) One (1) Fully escorted wine tasting tour and one (1) night, twin share accommodation in the Hunter Valley Wine Country for two (2) people (provided by DNSW – ARV USD $1080)
(items 10 (i)-(vii) above are together referred to as the “Grand Prize”)
The approximate retail value (“ARV”) of the Grand Prize is $5,620.00 USD. The actual value of the Grand Prize may vary depending on cities of departure and destination, dates and times of travel and airfare fluctuations at the time of travel bookings. Therefore, the actual value of the Grand Prize awarded may be lower or higher at the time it is fulfilled. Any difference between actual value and stated ARV will not be awarded. Travel is subject to the restrictions and conditions set forth below.
If you do win…
11. All travel must be completed by June 30, 2020 (subject to the Flight Conditions detailed below) and, where the Grand Prize is not being used to attend the Vivid Sydney festival 2019, the Grand Prize Winner must provide a minimum of 45 days advance notice of desired departure or Grand Prize will be forfeited in its entirety.
12. Any costs associated with Grand Prize receipt and/or use that are not expressly stated above are not included in the Grand Prize, and are the sole responsibility of the Grand Prize Winner and his/her travel companion. Such costs may include, without limitation, any additional ground transportation, any unspecified state or local taxes or government surcharges or fees, including, but not limited to, airport fees, trip and travel insurance and premiums, accommodation, excursions, meals, drinks, incidentals, gratuities, telephone calls, charges for changing dates or other personal costs and expenses not specified herein, and are the sole responsibility of the Grand Prize Winner and his or her travel companion.
13. All air travel arrangements are to be administered by Qantas and all aspects of the air travel, including, but not limited to, specific airline(s) and flights are at the sole discretion of Qantas.
14. Grand Prize Winner and his or her travel companion will be required to travel on identical itineraries including the same departure city, departure date, destination and return date. Grand Prize Winner and his or her travel companion will be required to provide valid passports at time of travel as required by airline, airport and TSA/government authorities. If Grand Prize Winner elects to travel or partake in the Grand Prize with no travel companion, no additional compensation will be awarded. Air transportation must be taken together and cannot be taken separately. No changes will be made to travel details once any element(s) of the air travel arrangements have been booked, except at Qantas’ sole discretion.
15. All airline tickets issued in conjunction with the Grand Prize are not eligible for frequent flyer miles or any other promotional benefit. Sponsor or its designee will not replace any lost or stolen tickets, travel vouchers or certificates or similar items once they are in the Grand Prize Winner’s possession, or in the possession of the Grand Prize Winner’s travel companion.
16. Grand Prize travel is subject to capacity controls, availability in Q class, and certain other restrictions and conditions, which may include a Saturday night stay, all of which are subject to change. Qantas’ standard Economy Class baggage allowance of two checked pieces of luggage up to 23kg (50lb) per passenger for flights from North America will apply to the Grand Prize Winner and travel companion. Charges for any additional checked bag(s) or for bag(s) that exceed weight and/or size limits are the sole responsibility of the Grand Prize Winner and his or her travel companion. No additional prize element will be substituted. The Sponsor and Partners are not responsible for changes in any element of Grand Prize schedule. No stopovers are permitted on tickets issued as the Grand Prize; if a stopover occurs, the Grand Prize will terminate and full fare will be charged from the stopover point for the remaining trip segment(s), including the return. Once flight arrangements have been confirmed, no changes will be allowed except by Sponsor at its sole discretion. Any unclaimed and/or unused Grand Prize travel package will remain the property of Sponsor. No substitutions by Grand Prize Winner are allowed.
17. Awarding of Grand Prize is subject to the Grand Prize Winner’s acceptance of all requisite conditions within these official rules and Grand Prize Winner’s ability and agreement to grant the rights set forth in these official rules and all required documents detailed herein.
18. Flight Conditions:
i. Confirmation will be in Economy class;
ii. Travel may only be taken (and completed) between: May 1, 2019 and June 30, 2020;
iii. If Grand Prize is to be used to attend the Vivid Sydney festival of light, music and ideas, the Grand Prize Winner must check the dates of the festival when released on https://www.vividsydney.com/ and arrange travel accordingly;
iv. Subject to Q class availability;
v. Please keep in mind that certain travel periods are busier than others and it may be difficult to obtain seats;
vi. You and your companion must travel together on the same flights;
vii. All travel must be completed within 90 days from the date of ticket issuance or no later than June 30, 2020. No extensions permitted;
viii. No Friday travel permitted in either direction;
ix. Travel is valid for the segments stated above only;
x. Tickets are non-refundable and non-transferable, and are subject to government regulations;
xi. Travel is subject to schedule changes and may only be used on Qantas-operated services;
xii. This award is excluded from frequent flyer mileage credit or mileage redemption for upgrade and does not include carriage where Qantas has seat lease agreements with other airlines (travel not valid on code-share flights);
xiii. While Qantas will make every effort to confirm your reservations as requested, operational and/or market conditions may prevent us from doing so. In such an event we will ask your cooperation in adjusting your travel dates;
xiv. This certificate may not be sold to, bartered with, purchased or utilized by a third party;
xv. Open to residents of U.S. only as detailed above;
xvi. Prior to travel, the winner must have provided Qantas with an IRS Form W-9 with the winner's taxpayer identification number. This information is needed for Qantas to complete IRS Form 1099 that reports the value of the prize in the U.S. Internal Revenue Service.
19. One (1) potential Grand Prize (defined below) winner will be selected in a random drawing on or about April 30, 2019 among all eligible entries received for the Sweepstakes (“Grand Prize Winner”). Random drawing will be conducted by Sponsor. Decisions of Sponsor shall be final and binding in all matters relating to this Sweepstakes. The potential Grand Prize Winner will be notified by email or telephone within five (5) days of the random drawing.
20. Sponsor is not responsible for any failure of attempted delivery of notice using the above-referenced notification methods.
21. Potential Grand Prize Winner’s failure to return all required forms prior to travel, or to comply with any other provision herein, may result in the potential Grand Prize Winner being disqualified and (time permitting) an alternate potential Grand Prize Winner may or may not be selected at Sponsor’s sole discretion.
22. If Sponsor cannot locate the potential Grand Prize Winner, or if the potential Grand Prize Winner has not accepted the Grand Prize, or part of the Grand Prize, by July 30, 2019, or has not given sufficient notice of departure as set out in item 11 above, either the next best entry will be declared the winner, or if time does not permit (in Sponsor’s opinion) to not award such prize. Where there is a compelling technical or administrative reason out of Sponsor’s control, the potential Grand Prize Winner will be selected from all eligible entries received at that time.
23. Acceptance of Grand Prize constitutes permission (except where prohibited) granted to Sponsor to use the Grand Prize Winner’s name, likeness, picture, voice, biographical information and statements contained in your entry for publicity, advertising, trade and promotional purposes in connection with the Sweepstakes in any and all media and manner, and by any and all means now known or hereafter devised in perpetuity worldwide without additional consideration, compensation or limitation of any kind. Any and all such recordings shall at all times be owned by, and the exclusive property of, Sponsor.
24. Grand Prize is not transferable, assignable, or redeemable for cash. No prize substitution will be allowed. If necessary, due to unavailability of the Grand Prize or an element of the Grand Prize for any reason, a prize of equal or greater value may be awarded at the sole discretion of the Sponsor. Grand Prize may not be sold, bartered or exchanged by Grand Prize Winner. Grand Prize is provided "as is" and without any warranty of any kind to the extent permitted by law. Grand Prize Winner is responsible for all taxes and fees associated with prize receipt and/or use including any visa documentation/fees. By accepting the Grand Prize, the Grand Prize Winner acknowledges and agrees to compliance with these official rules. All federal, state and local tax liabilities are the responsibility of the Grand Prize Winner.
25. We may ask you to provide proof of identity, residency and age, so that we are sure you are who you say you are, and are eligible to receive the Grand Prize.
26. You are responsible for your use of the Grand Prize, including complying with any applicable terms and conditions of use. Of course, if you win the Grand Prize, you’ll be good and comply with all relevant laws, rules and regulations. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any entrant who has engaged in unlawful or improper conduct.
27. You agree that if you have a dispute with Sponsor and Partners in relation to this Sweepstakes or any prize awarded: (1) it will be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action; (2) any claim will be limited to an action at law for damages and you will not be permitted to obtain attorneys’ fees or other legal costs; and (3) you waive all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased and your right to claim indirect, punitive, incidental and consequential damages.
28. The nature of the Grand Prize may be such that it poses health or safety risks, or risks normally associated with travel to you (and if applicable, to your guest). You should consider any health, safety and travel risks and take appropriate precautions (including arrange insurances) to guard against those risks. The Sponsor and Partners are not responsible for use of the Grand Prize which results in:
a) loss that was not reasonably foreseeable;
b) loss that was not caused by our breach of this deed or by our negligence;
c) business losses (such as lost data, lost profits or business interruptions) or loss suffered by non-consumers;
d) losses caused by factors which could reasonably be considered to be outside our control (such as faults in third party equipment, or delayed or cancelled flights); and
e) any loss caused, or contributed to, by your breach of conditions of entry or your negligence.