The winner of this competition has been chosen and notified.
The winner is: Kayte Thomas - from North Carolina, USA, and her winning entry is:
'We value learning about other cultures and raising our children with a global mindset so they will build bridges instead of walls in life.'
* Terms and conditions updated as of 20/04/2018*
Here are the terms and conditions which will apply to your entry. Please read them carefully as they contain important information you need to know!
1. Lonely Planet Publications Inc. of 124 Linden Street, Oakland, California, 94607, United States of America (“Lonely Planet”) is the promotor. Our friends over at Evaneos of 27 Rue de Mogador, 75009 Paris, France is the promotional partner.
2. You can enter between on April 17th, 2018 at 9:00am CST (“Opening Date”) AND May 29th, 2018 at 11:59pm CST (“Closing Date”).
3. The laws in some places don’t allow Lonely Planet to run this promotion, so the competition and these terms and conditions are void in those places.
4. Information about the prizes and how to enter form part of these conditions of entry.
5. Any notifications and changes to these terms and conditions will be published on the competition entry page https://www.lonelyplanet.com/kids/win-a-trip so you should check this page regularly.
6. These terms are governed by the laws of the state of Tennessee, USA.
7. This competition is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook. You understand that you are providing your information to Lonely Planet and not to Facebook, and you completely release Facebook from any claims in relation to this competition. You must comply with all applicable laws and regulations including the Twitter Rules. Anyone found to use multiple accounts to enter will be ineligible to win. Multiple entries in a single day will not be accepted. This competition is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Instagram. You understand that you are providing your information to Lonely Planet and not to Instagram, and you completely release Instagram from any claims in relation to this competition.
How to enter and prize details
8. To enter, go to the landing page at https://www.lonelyplanet.com/kids/win-a-trip, complete the entry form and tell us in 25 words or less why you think it’s important to travel with your kids. You don’t have to buy anything to enter. By entering, you agree that all of your entry is your own work.
9. You can only enter once we’ll make confetti out of any extra entries you submit. Your entry is received at the time Lonely Planet receives it. Incomplete and invalid entries will not be accepted. If your entry gets lost in cyber space or doesn’t arrive for any other reason, that’s not Lonely Planet’s fault.
10. One (1) first prize winner will receive: a trip for your family (2 adults and 2 children) to Sri Lanka, including:
a. 1 x 10-day / 9-night ‘tailor made’ trip, including accommodation at 3-4 star locations, breakfasts and dinners, ground transport to/from hotel/airport in Sri Lanka, food, activities and tours as selected by the winner from Jessica, Evaneos’ local travel agent for adventure and wildlife tours in Sri Lanka (provided by Evaneos, up to the maximum value of $5,700.00 USD)
b. 1 x STA Travel voucher towards airfare (provided by Lonely Planet - approximate RRP is $4,000.00 USD)
c. 1 x $200.00 USD voucher for the Lonely Planet shop (http://shop.lonelyplanet.com/) to be used towards Lonely Planet Kids’ and Lonely Planet books (provided by Lonely Planet)
Children must be under the age of 18 years old at the time of travel.
The winner and guests must share the same travel itinerary. The flights and accommodation must be taken in one trip, and both require 4 months advance booking prior to preferred departure date. All accommodation and activities for the dates requested are subject to availability. All travel must be booked by May 31st, 2019. The winning family will have until September 30th, 2019 to take their trip. Total prize value is approximately $9,900.00 USD. These prize values are accurate at the start of the competition.
How is the winner chosen?
11. Rather than consulting tea leaves, the winner will be selected by a panel of 2 judges who will review all eligible entries and, from a shortlist of 10 entries, decide the best overall winner.
12. The task of selecting the winner will happen in a small, dark room at 124 Linden Street, Oakland, CA 94607, on May 31st, 2018. No correspondence will be entered into, even if you think that sucks.
13. We’ll give the winner(s) the good news by email and their name(s) will be published on the Lonely Planet website within 2 days after selection. If you’re riddled with curiosity, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org (including the name of the promotion) within 3 months of the Closing Date, and we’ll respond and tell you who won.
14. Lonely Planet will do its best to find the winner. But if we can’t, or if the winner hasn’t accepted the prize by June 30th, 2018, the next best entry will be declared winner. Where there is a compelling technical or administrative reason out of Lonely Planet’s control, the winner(s) will be selected from all eligible entries received at that time.
If you do win
15. We may ask you to provide proof of identity, residency and age, so that we are sure you are who you say you are, and are eligible to receive the prize.
16. You can’t exchange the prize for cash, or ask us to give it to someone else (not that you’d want to!). We will use reasonable efforts to award the prize as described but if due to unforeseen circumstances we are unable to do that, we’ll substitute it for another prize of comparable value.
17. You’ll be responsible for all taxes, insurance and any other expenses, fees and costs connected with that prize that are not included in the prize description. Winners are required to complete and submit a W-9 form to Lonely Planet prior to delivery of a prize.
18. If, in order to take the prize, you’re lucky enough to need a valid passport and/or other necessary travel documentation and visas, you’ll need to sort those out for yourself.
19. You are responsible for your use of the prize, including complying with any applicable terms and conditions of use https://www.evaneos.net/evaneos/general-terms-of-use/. Of course, if you win a prize, you’ll be good and comply with all relevant laws, rules and regulations. Lonely Planet reserves the right to disqualify any entrant who has engaged in unlawful or improper conduct.
20. You agree that if you have a dispute with Lonely Planet in relation to this sweepstake or any prize awarded: (1) it will be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action; (2) any claim will be limited to an action at law for damages and you will not be permitted to obtain attorneys’ fees or other legal costs; and (3) you waive all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased and your right to claim indirect, punitive, incidental and consequential damages.
21. The nature of the prize may be such that it poses health or safety risks, or risks normally associated with travel to you (and if applicable, to your guest). You should consider any health, safety and travel risks and take appropriate precautions (including arrange insurances) to guard against those risks. Lonely Planet is not responsible for use of the prize which results in:
a) loss that was not reasonably foreseeable;
b) loss that was not caused by our breach of this deed or by our negligence;
c) business losses (such as lost data, lost profits or business interruptions) or loss suffered by non-consumers;
d) losses caused by factors which could reasonably be considered to be outside our control (such as faults in third party equipment, or delayed or cancelled flights); and
e) any loss caused, or contributed to, by your breach of conditions of entry or your negligence.
What happens to my entry?
22. You give Lonely Planet a worldwide, irrevocable licence to reproduce, publish, adapt, communicate and broadcast all or part of it in any form and media, in relation to the ‘Win an Unforgettable Family Adventure to Sri Lanka’ competition. You also consent to us editing, re-using, storing, reproducing and communicating your entry in any medium. We will, to the extent practicable, attribute you as the author.
23. Lonely Planet and its promotional partners will only use the personal information contained in your entry to conduct the promotion and award the prize (but if you’ve told Lonely Planet that you want to receive stuff from us and/or our promotional partners, we’ll use your personal information for that too). If you win a prize, Lonely Planet can use your name and photograph for future marketing purposes unless you tell us not to.