Last updated 18th December 2018
The winner of this competition has now been chosen and notified. The winner is Cherie Croker from Australia.
Here are the terms and conditions which will apply to your entry. Please read them carefully as they contain important information you need to know!
1. Lonely Planet Publications Pty Limited (ABN 36 005 607 983) of The Malt Store, Level 3, 551 Swanston Street, Carlton, VIC 3053, Australia (“Lonely Planet”) is the promotor. Our friends over at Sydney Living Museums (ABN 33 412 983 678) of The Mint, 10 Macquarie Street Sydney, NSW 2000 are the promotional partners.
2. You can enter between on Friday 9 November, 00:01am AEST (“Opening Date”) and Thursday 13 December, 23:39pm AEST (“Closing Date”).
3. This competition is open to legal residents of Australia aged 18 or over, except if you (or your immediate family or housemates) are employees or contractors of Lonely Planet, its promotional partners, or subsidiaries or parent or affiliated companies. The laws in some places don’t allow Lonely Planet to run this promotion, so the competition and these terms and conditions are void in those places.
4. Information about the prizes and how to enter form part of these conditions of entry.
5. Any notifications and changes to these terms and conditions will be published on the competition entry page http://lptravel.to/HCW-comp, so you should check this page regularly.
6. These terms are governed by the laws of Australia.
7. This competition is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook. You understand that you are providing your information to Lonely Planet and not to Facebook, and you completely release Facebook from any claims in relation to this competition.
You must comply with all applicable laws and regulations including the Twitter Rules. Anyone found to use multiple accounts to enter will be ineligible to win. Multiple entries in a single day will not be accepted.
How to enter and prize details
8. To enter, go to http://lptravel.to/HCW-comp, complete the entry form and tell us in 25 words or less why you would like to visit the Sydney Living Museums’ ‘How Cities Work’ exhibition, in partnership with Lonely Planet Kids. (https://sydneylivingmuseums.com.au/exhibitions/how-cities-work). You don’t have to buy anything to enter. By entering, you agree that all of your entry is your own work.
9. You can only enter once ‑ we’ll make confetti out of any extra entries you submit. Your entry is received at the time Lonely Planet receives it. Incomplete and invalid entries will not be accepted. If your entry gets lost in cyberspace or doesn’t arrive for any other reason, that’s not Lonely Planet’s fault.
10. 1 x first prize winner will receive:
a) 1 x family trip to Sydney to visit the ‘How Cities Work Exhibition’ at the Museum of Sydney, as follows:
i. 1 x Sydney Museums Pass (Family) to cover the admission, for up to 2 adults and 2 children or 1 adult and 3 children, to the Museum of Sydney, Corner Phillip and Bridge Streets, Sydney, NSW 2000 (open daily between 15 December 2018 - 21 July 2019, 10am–5pm), to visit the ‘How Cities Work Exhibition’ (provided by Sydney Living Museums – approximate retail value AUD $50.00).
The Sydney Museums Pass (Family) permits one general museum entry to each participating museum and historic house (organised events are not included), and is valid for one month from the date of your first visit. Further details, here: https://sydneylivingmuseums.com.au/sydney-museums-pass.
ii. 1 x Flight Centre Gift Card towards flights and accommodation to/from Sydney (provided by Lonely Planet – approximate value AUD $4,000.00).
The travel, accommodation and use of the Sydney Museums Pass must be taken in one trip, between 15 December 2018 - 21 July 2019. The winner and guests must share the same travel itinerary.
b) 1 x Lonely Planet gift pack, that contains:
- 4 x How Cities Work tote bags – approximate value AUD $24.99
- 4 x copies of How Cities Work – approximate value AUD $24.99
- 4 x copies of How Airports Work – approximate value AUD $24.99
- 4 x packets of How Cities Work postcards – approximate value AUD $10.00
(provided by Lonely Planet - approximate value AUD $339.88)
Total prize value is approximately AUD $4,389.88. These prize values are accurate at the start of the competition.
How is the winner chosen?
11. Rather than consulting tea leaves, the winner will be selected by a panel of 3 judges who will review all eligible entries and, from a shortlist of 5 entries, decide the best overall winner.
12. The task of selecting the winner(s) will happen in a small, dark room atThe Malt Store, Level 3, 551 Swanston Street, Carlton, VIC 3053, Australia, on Tuesday 18 December 2018. No correspondence will be entered into, even if you think that sucks.
13. We’ll give the winner(s) the good news by email and their name(s) will be published on the Lonely Planet website within 2 days after selection. If you’re riddled with curiosity, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org (including the name of the promotion) within 3 months of the Closing Date, and we’ll respond and tell you who won.
14. Lonely Planet will do its best to find the winner. But if we can’t, or if the winner hasn’t accepted the prize by Monday 18 March 2019, the next best entry will be declared winner announced (subject to regulatory approval). Where there is a compelling technical or administrative reason out of Lonely Planet’s control, the winner(s) will be selected from all eligible entries received at that time.
If you do win
15. We may ask you to provide proof of identity, residency and age, so that we are sure you are who you say you are, and are eligible to receive the prize.
16. You can’t exchange the prize for cash, or ask us to give it to someone else (not that you’d want to!). We will use reasonable efforts to award the prize as described but if due to unforeseen circumstances we are unable to do that, we’ll substitute it for another prize of comparable value.
17. You’ll be responsible for all taxes, insurance and any other expenses, fees and costs connected with that prize that are not included in the prize description.
18. If, in order to take the prize, you’re lucky enough to need a valid passport and/or other necessary travel documentation and visas, you’ll need to sort those out for yourself.
19. You are responsible for your use of the prize, including complying with any applicable terms and conditions of use, the Sydney Living Museums terms and conditions, here: https://sydneylivingmuseums.com.au/sydney-museums-pass, the Flight Centre’s terms and conditions, here: https://www.flightcentre.com.au/gift-card-terms-and-conditions. Of course, if you win a prize, you’ll be good and comply with all relevant laws, rules and regulations. Lonely Planet reserves the right to disqualify any entrant who has engaged in unlawful or improper conduct.
20. The nature of the prize may be such that it poses health or safety risks, or risks normally associated with travel to you (and if applicable, to your guest). You should consider any health, safety and travel risks and take appropriate precautions (including arrange insurances) to guard against those risks. Lonely Planet and the promotional partners are not responsible for use of the prize which results in:
a) loss that was not reasonably foreseeable;
b) loss that was not caused by our breach of this deed or by our negligence;
c) business losses (such as lost data, lost profits or business interruptions) or loss suffered by non-consumers;
d) losses caused by factors which could reasonably be considered to be outside our control (such as faults in third party equipment, or delayed or cancelled flights); and
e) any loss caused, or contributed to, by your breach of conditions of entry or your negligence.
What happens to my entry?
21. You give Lonely Planet a worldwide, irrevocable licence to reproduce, publish, adapt, communicate and broadcast all or part of it in any form and media, in relation to the How Cities Work: Win a Trip competition. You also consent to us editing, re-using, storing, reproducing and communicating your entry in any medium. We will, to the extent practicable, attribute you as the author.
22. Lonely Planet and its promotional partners will only use the personal information contained in your entry to conduct the promotion and award the prize (but if you’ve told Lonely Planet that you want to receive stuff from us and/or our promotional partners, we’ll use your personal information for that too). If you win a prize, Lonely Planet and its promotional partners can use your name and photograph for future marketing purposes unless you tell us not to.