Here are the terms and conditions which will apply to your entry. Please read them carefully as they contain important information you need to know!
1. Lonely Planet Publications Limited (3970494) of 240 Blackfriars Road, London, SE1 8NW, UK (“Lonely Planet”) is the promoter. Our friends over at CORDURA® Brand, INVISTA Textiles (U.K.) Limited (registered office at One St. Peter's Square, Manchester, M2 3DE, United Kingdom) are the (“Promotional Partners”). CORDURA® is a trademark of INVISTA.
2. You can enter between Monday 2nd September 2019, 00:01 GMT (“Opening Date”) AND Monday 30th September 2019, 23:59 GMT (“Closing Date”).
3. This competition is open globally to people aged 18 or over, except if you (or your immediate family or housemates) are employees or contractors of Lonely Planet, its Promotional Partners, or their subsidiaries or parents or affiliated companies. The laws in some places don’t allow Lonely Planet to run this promotion, so the competition and these terms and conditions are void in those places where the promotion would be prohibited or restricted.
4. Information about the prizes and how to enter form part of these conditions of entry.
5. Any notifications and changes to these terms and conditions will be published on the competition entry page, so you should check this page regularly.
6. These terms are governed by the laws of England.
7. This competition is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook or Instagram. You understand that you are providing your information to Lonely Planet and not to Facebook or Instagram, and you completely release Facebook from any claims in relation to this competition.
How to enter and prize details
8. To enter, go to https://www.lonelyplanet.com/campaigns/the-big-trip-competition, fill in the form including your name, email address and tell us in 25 words or less how you’d put outdoor gear made with CORDURA® fabric through its paces and click submit. You don’t have to buy anything to enter. By entering, you agree that all of your entry is your own work.
9. You can only enter once - we’ll make confetti out of any extra entries you submit. Your entry is received at the time Lonely Planet receives it. Incomplete and invalid entries will not be accepted. If your entry gets lost in cyberspace or doesn’t arrive for any other reason, that’s not Lonely Planet’s fault.
10. One first prize winner will receive:
a. 1 x Tatonka Bison 60 + 10 women’s backpack made with CORDURA®
fabric, (approximate RRP £241, provided by Tatonka);
b. 1 x Tatonka 75 + 10 men’s/unisex backpack made with CORDURA®
fabric, (approximate RRP £259, provided by Tatonka);
c. 1 x BlackYak Bakosi women’s jacket in Medium/ Iron Gate, made with
CORDURA® fabric (approximate RRP £425, provided by BlackYak);
d. 1 x BlackYak Bakosi men’s/unisex jacket in Large/ Rifle Green, made with
CORDURA® fabric (approximate RRP £425, provided by BlackYak).
e. 1 x copy of Lonely Planet’s ‘The Big Trip’, 4th edition, provided by Lonely
Planet Publications – approximate retail value £16.99.
Total prize value is approximately £1,366.99. These prize values are accurate at the start of the competition.
How is the winner chosen?
11. Rather than consulting tea leaves, one judge will select a shortlist of 20 entries from all entries based on which are the most original and creative. The winner will then be selected from that shortlist by a panel of 3 judges who will review all eligible entries from the shortlist on the same criteria and decide the best overall winner.
12. The task of selecting the winner will happen in a small, dark room at Lonely Planet Publications Ltd, 6th Floor, 240 Blackfriars Road, London, SE1 8NW, on Wednesday 2nd October 2019. No correspondence will be entered into, even if you think that sucks. The decision of the judges will be final with regard to any and all aspects of this Promotion.
13. We’ll give the winner(s) the good news by email and their name(s) will be published on the Lonely Planet website within 2 days after selection. If you’re riddled with curiosity, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org (including the name of the promotion) within 3 months of the Closing Date, and we’ll respond and tell you who won.
14. Lonely Planet will do its best to find the winner. But if we can’t, or if the winner hasn’t accepted the prize by Monday 2nd December 2019, the next best entry will be declared winner.
If you do win
15. We may ask you to provide proof of identity, residency and age, so that we are sure you are who you say you are and are eligible to receive the prize.
16. You can’t exchange the prize for cash or ask us to give it to someone else (not that you’d want to!). We will use reasonable efforts to award the prize as described but if due to unforeseen circumstances we are unable to do that, we’ll substitute it for another prize of comparable value.
17. You’ll be responsible for all taxes, insurance and any other expenses, fees and costs connected with that prize that are not included in the prize description and you may receive a tax reporting form to self-report your prize to the appropriate taxing authorities.
18. If, in order to take the prize, you’re lucky enough to need a valid passport and/or other necessary travel documentation and visas, you’ll need to sort those out for yourself.
19. You are responsible for your use of the prize, including complying with any applicable terms and conditions of use. Of course, if you win a prize, you’ll be good and comply with all relevant laws, rules and regulations. Lonely Planet reserves the right to disqualify any entrant who has engaged in unlawful or improper conduct.
20. The nature of the prize may be such that it poses health or safety risks, or risks normally associated with travel to you (and if applicable, to your guest). You should consider any health, safety and travel risks and take appropriate precautions (including arrange insurances) to guard against those risks. Lonely Planet is not responsible for use of the prize which results in:
a) loss that was not reasonably foreseeable;
b) loss that was not caused by our breach of this deed or by our negligence;
c) business losses (such as lost data, lost profits or business interruptions) or loss suffered by non-consumers;
d) losses caused by factors which could reasonably be considered to be outside our control (such as faults in third party equipment, or delayed or cancelled flights); and
e) any loss caused, or contributed to, by your breach of conditions of entry or your negligence.
What happens to my entry?
21. You give Lonely Planet and its Promotional Partners a worldwide, irrevocable licence to reproduce, publish, adapt, communicate and broadcast all or part of it in any form and media, in relation to the Lonely Planet’s Big Trip x CORDURA® competition. You also consent to us editing, re-using, storing, reproducing and communicating your entry in any medium. We will, to the extent practicable, attribute you as the author.
22. Lonely Planet and its Promotional Partners will only use the personal information contained in your entry to conduct the promotion and award the prize (but if you’ve told Lonely Planet that you want to receive stuff from us and/or our Promotional Partners, we’ll use your personal information for that too). If you win a prize, Lonely Planet and its Promotional Partners can use your name and photograph for future marketing purposes without additional compensation unless you tell us not to, or where prohibited by law. If you are 18 years old but are still considered a minor in your jurisdiction of residence, your parent or legal guardian may need to approve.
23. We will keep your personal information in accordance with Lonely Planet’s privacy