Here are the terms and conditions which will apply to your entry. Please read them carefully as they contain important information you need to know!
The five winners of one month-long Interrail pass, courtesy of Eurail.com are: Laura Matheson, Stefan Havermans, Sue Dyke, Ed Clarke and Henry Carden.
The five winners of one month-long Eurail pass, courtesy of Eurail.com are: Catherine Hume, Leigh Slattery, Deborah Holderness, Ron Carter and Kathleen Gashun.
We have contacted all of the winners but if any of these winners hasn't excepted their prize by 13th August 2018, the next best entry will be declared the winner.
1. Lonely Planet Publications Limited (3970494) of 240 Blackfriars Road, London, SE1 8NW, UK (“Lonely Planet”) is the promoter. Our friends over at Eurail.com, Leidseveer 10, 3511 SB Utrecht, The Netherlands are promoters of the competition.
2. You can enter between 22 May 2018, 00:01 BST (“Opening Date”) AND 6 July 2018, 23:59 BST (“Closing Date”).
3. This competition is open globally to entrants aged 18 or over, except if you (or your immediate family or housemates) are employees or contractors of Lonely Planet, its promotional partners, or subsidiaries or parent or affiliated companies. The laws in some places don’t allow Lonely Planet to run this promotion, so the competition and these terms and conditions are void in those places.
4. Information about the prizes and how to enter form part of these conditions of entry.
5. Any notifications and changes to these terms and conditions will be published on the competition entry page www.lonelyplanet.com/best-in-europe, so you should check this page regularly.
6. These terms are governed by the laws of England.
7. Facebook: This competition is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook. You understand that you are providing your information to Lonely Planet and not to Facebook, and you completely release Facebook from any claims in relation to this competition. Twitter: You must comply with all applicable laws and regulations including the Twitter Rules. Anyone found to use multiple accounts to enter will be ineligible to win. Multiple entries in a single day will not be accepted. Instagram: This competition is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Instagram. You understand that you are providing your information to Lonely Planet and not to Instagram, and you completely release Instagram from any claims in relation to this competition.
How to enter and prize details
8. To enter, go to www.lonelyplanet.com/best-in-europe, complete the entry form and tell us in 25 words or less where in Europe you would most like to visit, and why. You don’t have to buy anything to enter. By entering, you agree that all of your entry is your own work.
9. You can only enter once – we’ll make confetti out of any extra entries you submit. Your entry is received at the time Lonely Planet receives it. Incomplete and invalid entries will not be accepted. If your entry gets lost in cyberspace or doesn’t arrive for any other reason, that’s not Lonely Planet’s fault.
10. Please ensure that you select the correct dropdown menu option for the prize relevant to your entry. Only European citizens or residents can travel with an Interrail pass. Only non-European residents can travel with a Eurail pass. For more information on which pass is right for you, please see: https://www.eurail.com/en/help/choosing-pass/should-i-travel-eurail-or-interrail
Lonely Planet cannot be held responsible if you select the wrong prize option and are ineligible to claim your prize.
11. Five (5) entrants will each receive:
One (1) continuous one month Interrail pass, to a value of €637 (excluding VAT), for unlimited days travel with participating train, ferry and public transport companies.
Five (5) entrants will each receive:
One (1) continuous one month Eurail pass, to a value of €756 (excluding VAT), for unlimited days travel with participating train, ferry and public transport companies.
All prizes are provided by Eurail.com and must be booked by 30 September 2018. Standard booking condition of Eurail.com apply and can be found here for Eurail: https://www.eurail.com/en/terms-conditions/booking-conditions and here for Interrail: https://www.interrail.eu/en/terms-and-conditions/booking-conditions.
Please note that travel date must commence at least 4 weeks after the booking form is sent to provide time for shipping and to make seat reservations.
Total prize value for all prizes is €6,965. These prize values are accurate at the start of the competition.
How is the winner chosen?
12. Rather than consulting tea leaves, the winner will be selected by a panel of 3 judges who will review all eligible entries and select the best five entrants to win each prize.
13. The task of selecting the winners will happen in a small, dark room at 240 Blackfriars Road, London, by 13th July 2018. No correspondence will be entered into, even if you think that sucks.
14. We’ll give the winners the good news by email and their name(s) will be published on the Lonely Planet website within 2 days after selection. If you’re riddled with curiosity, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org (including the name of the promotion) within 3 months of the Closing Date, and we’ll respond and tell you who won.
15. Lonely Planet will do its best to find the winner. But if we can’t, or if the winner hasn’t accepted the prize by 13th August 2018, the next best entry will be declared winner. Where there is a compelling technical or administrative reason out of Lonely Planet’s control, the winner(s) will be selected from all eligible entries received at that time.
If you do win
16. We may ask you to provide proof of identity, residency and age, so that we are sure you are who you say you are, and are eligible to receive the prize.
17. You can’t exchange the prize for cash, or ask us to give it to someone else (not that you’d want to!). We will use reasonable efforts to award the prize as described but if due to unforeseen circumstances we are unable to do that, we’ll substitute it for another prize of comparable value.
18. You’ll be responsible for all taxes, insurance, any additional airfare costs, and any other expenses, fees and costs connected with that prize that are not included in the prize description.
19. If, in order to take the prize, you’re lucky enough to need a valid passport and/or other necessary travel documentation and visas, you’ll need to sort those out for yourself.
20. You are responsible for your use of the prize, including complying with any applicable terms and conditions of use for either Interrail passes (https://www.interrail.eu/en/terms-and-conditions/booking-conditions) or Eurail passes (https://www.eurail.com/en/terms-conditions/booking-conditions). Of course, if you win a prize, you’ll be good and comply with all relevant laws, rules and regulations. Lonely Planet reserves the right to disqualify any entrant who has engaged in unlawful or improper conduct.
21. The nature of the prize may be such that it poses health or safety risks, or risks normally associated with travel to you (and if applicable, to your guest). You should consider any health, safety and travel risks and take appropriate precautions (including arrange insurances) to guard against those risks. Lonely Planet is not responsible for use of the prize which results in:
a) loss that was not reasonably foreseeable;
b) loss that was not caused by our breach of this deed or by our negligence;
c) business losses (such as lost data, lost profits or business interruptions) or loss suffered by non-consumers;
d) losses caused by factors which could reasonably be considered to be outside our control (such as faults in third party equipment, or delayed or cancelled flights); and
e) any loss caused, or contributed to, by your breach of conditions of entry or your negligence.
What happens to my entry?
22. You give Lonely Planet and Eurail.com a worldwide, irrevocable licence to reproduce, publish, adapt, communicate and broadcast all or part of your entry in any form and media, in relation to the Best in Europe 2018 competition. You also consent to us editing, re-using, storing, reproducing and communicating your entry in any medium. We will, to the extent practicable, attribute you as the author.
23. Lonely Planet and its promotional partners will only use the personal information contained in your entry to conduct the promotion and award the prize (but if you’ve told Lonely Planet that you want to receive stuff from us and/or our promotional partners, we’ll use your personal information for that too).