*Last updated 19th October 2018 *
Thanks for your interest in our competition. The winner and runners up have been chosen and notified:
Winning image: Stefanie, Germany
Here are the terms and conditions which will apply to your entry. Please read them carefully as they contain important information you need to know!
1. Lonely Planet Publications Limited (3970494) of 240 Blackfriars Road, London, SE1 8NW, UK (“Lonely Planet”) is the promotor. Our friends over at MyPostcard.com GMBH (“My Postcard”) of Hohenzollerndamm3, 10717 Berlin, Germany AND World Expeditions Travel Group Pty Ltd of Level 5/71 York St, Sydney, NSW 2000, Australia (“World Expeditions”) are the promotional partners.
2. You can enter between Tuesday 18th September 2018, 16:00 BST (“Opening Date”) AND Friday 12th October 2018, 23:59 BST (“Closing Date”). Please note, the completed entry must be submitted via My Postcard by the Closing Date.
3. This competition is open globally to people aged 18 or over, except if you (or your immediate family or housemates) are employees or contractors of Lonely Planet, its promotional partners, or subsidiaries or parent or affiliated companies. The laws in some places don’t allow Lonely Planet to run this promotion, so the competition and these terms and conditions are void in those places.
4. Information about the prizes and how to enter form part of these conditions of entry.
5. Any notifications and changes to these terms and conditions will be published on the competition entry page https://www.lonelyplanet.com/explore-every-day/, so you should check this page regularly.
6. These terms are governed by the laws of England.
7. This competition is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook. You understand that you are providing your information to Lonely Planet and not to Facebook, and you completely release Facebook from any claims in relation to this competition.
You must comply with all applicable laws and regulations including the Twitter Rules. Anyone found to use multiple accounts to enter will be ineligible to win. Multiple entries in a single day will not be accepted.
How to enter and prize details
8. To enter, go to https://www.lonelyplanet.com/explore-every-day/, complete the entry form. and click ‘submit’. You will then receive an email from Lonely Planet containing a special code to send Lonely Planet a free postcard on the My Postcard App. To complete your entry, you must carry out each of the following steps:
a) download the My Postcard App from the App Store or Google Play Store to your device and create a personal account;
b) using the My Postcard App, create a real printed paper photo postcard by choosing one of the postcard templates, upload your photo(s) and write your personal text, describing your “best ever travel experience”, on the reverse side;
c) Now all you have to do is add “Lonely Planet Publications Limited, 6th Floor, 240 Blackfriars Road, London, SE1 8NW, United Kingdom” as the recipient and enter the special code that was emailed to you by Lonely Planet (see above).
You don’t have to buy anything to enter. By entering, you agree that all of your entry is your own work.
9. You can only enter once we’ll make confetti out of any extra entries you submit. Your entry is received at the time Lonely Planet receives it. Incomplete and invalid entries will not be accepted. If your entry gets lost in cyberspace or doesn’t arrive for any other reason, that’s not Lonely Planet’s fault.
10. One (1) first prize winner will receive: a trip for two (2) people (winner and guest) including:
a) choice of one (1) of the following World Expeditions adventure holidays (“Trip”) for two (2) people:
● Best of Southern Alps Trek, here: https://worldexpeditions.com/New-Zealand/Trekking-Hiking/Best-of-Southern-Alps-Trek (provided by World Expeditions - approximate retail value £1490.00 per person);
● Primates & Wildlife of Uganda, here: https://worldexpeditions.com/Uganda/Wildlife-Safari/Uganda-Gorilla-Fly-In-Safari (provided by World Expeditions - approximate retail value £1995.00 per person); or
● Maldives Dhoni Cruise, here: https://worldexpeditions.com/Maldives/Boat-Based-Cruising-Sailing/Maldives-Dhoni-Cruise (provided by World Expeditions - approximate retail value £850.00 per person).
b) return economy flights, up to the maximum value of £1,500.00 ((provided by World Expeditions);
c) Two (2) x nights accommodation for two (2) people, to be taken the nights directly before and after the Trip (provided by World Expeditions); and
d) one (1) copy of Lonely Planet’s new book ‘The Best Moment of Your Life’, 1st edition (provided by Lonely Planet – approximate retail value £16.99).
The winner and guest must share the same travel itinerary. The flights and accommodation (double or twin-share basis) must be taken in one trip, and both require a minimum of 60 days advance booking subject to availability. Travel must be booked and completed by 31st December 2019. Travellers must agree to the World Expeditions terms and conditions and complete their booking form.
5 Runners-up prize winners will each receive: one (1) copy of Lonely Planet’s new book ‘The Best Moment of Your Life’, 1st edition (provided by Lonely Planet – approximate retail value £16.99).
Total prize value is approximately £4092. These prize values are accurate at the start of the competition.
How is the winner chosen?
11. Rather than consulting tea leaves, the winner will be selected: by a panel of 3 judges who will review all eligible entries and, from a shortlist of 10 entries, decide the best overall winner.
12. The task of selecting the winner will happen in a small, dark room at Lonely Planet Publications Limited, 6th Floor, 240 Blackfriars Road, London, SE1 8NW, United Kingdom, on 22nd October 2018. No correspondence will be entered into, even if you think that sucks.
13. We’ll give the winner(s) the good news by email and their name(s) will be published on the Lonely Planet website within 2 days after selection. If you’re riddled with curiosity, send an email to email@example.com (including the name of the promotion) within 3 months of the Closing Date, and we’ll respond and tell you who won.
14. Lonely Planet will do its best to find the winner. But if we can’t, or if the winner hasn’t accepted the prize by 22nd January 2019, the next best entry will be declared winner. Where there is a compelling technical or administrative reason out of Lonely Planet’s control, the winner(s) will be selected from all eligible entries received at that time.
If you do win
15. We may ask you to provide proof of identity, residency and age, so that we are sure you are who you say you are, and are eligible to receive the prize.
16. You can’t exchange the prize for cash, or ask us to give it to someone else (not that you’d want to!). We will use reasonable efforts to award the prize as described but if due to unforeseen circumstances we are unable to do that, we’ll substitute it for another prize of comparable value.
17. You’ll be responsible for all taxes, insurance and any other expenses, fees and costs connected with that prize that are not included in the prize description.
18. If, in order to take the prize, you’re lucky enough to need a valid passport and/or other necessary travel documentation and visas, you’ll need to sort those out for yourself.
Of course, if you win a prize, you’ll be good and comply with all relevant laws, rules and regulations. Lonely Planet reserves the right to disqualify any entrant who has engaged in unlawful or improper conduct.
20. The nature of the prize may be such that it poses health or safety risks, or risks normally associated with travel to you (and if applicable, to your guest). You should consider any health, safety and travel risks and take appropriate precautions (including arrange insurances) to guard against those risks. Lonely Planet is not responsible for use of the prize which results in:
a) loss that was not reasonably foreseeable;
b) loss that was not caused by our breach of this deed or by our negligence;
c) business losses (such as lost data, lost profits or business interruptions) or loss suffered by non-consumers;
d) losses caused by factors which could reasonably be considered to be outside our control (such as faults in third party equipment, or delayed or cancelled flights); and
e) any loss caused, or contributed to, by your breach of conditions of entry or your negligence.
What happens to my entry?
21. You give Lonely Planet a worldwide, irrevocable licence to reproduce, publish, adapt, communicate and broadcast all or part of it in any form and media, in relation to the Best Moment of Your Life competition. You also consent to us editing, re-using, storing, reproducing and communicating your entry in any medium. We will, to the extent practicable, attribute you as the author.
22. Lonely Planet and its promotional partners will only use the personal information contained in your entry to conduct the promotion and award the prize (but if you’ve told Lonely Planet that you want to receive stuff from us and/or our promotional partners, we’ll use your personal information for that too). If you win a prize, Lonely Planet can use your name and photograph for future marketing purposes unless you tell us not to.