Sweden’s main airport is Stockholm Arlanda. Entry is straightforward; most visitors simply need to fill out and hand over a brief customs form and show their passport at immigration.

Customs Regulations

Details are outlined on the website www.tullverket.se.

  • Coming from outside the EU, you can bring into Sweden 200 cigarettes and 1L of spirits, 4L of wine, 2L of fortified wine or 16L of beer.
  • Coming from an EU country, you are allowed to bring in 800 cigarettes and 10L of spirits, 90L of wine, 20L of fortified wine or 110L of beer.
  • You must be at least 20 years old to bring in alcohol and 18 to bring in tobacco.
  • Live plants and animal products (meat, dairy etc) from outside the EU, and all animals, syringes and weapons must be declared to customs on arrival.


Generally not required for stays of up to 90 days. Not required for members of EU or Schengen countries.

Further Information

  • Citizens of EU countries can enter Sweden with a passport or a national identification card (passports are recommended) and stay indefinitely. Uppehållstillstånd (residence permits) are no longer required for EU citizens to visit, study, live or work in Sweden.
  • Non-EU passport holders from Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the US can enter and stay in Sweden without a visa for up to 90 days.
  • Individuals aged 18 and 30 who hold a passport from Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Argentina, Chile, Uruguay, Hong Kong or South Korea can qualify for a one-year working-holiday visa.
  • For longer stays, you'll need to apply for a visitor's permit instead of an entry visa. These must be applied for before entering Sweden. An interview with consular officials at your nearest Swedish embassy is required – allow up to eight months for this process. Foreign students are granted residence permits if they can prove acceptance by a Swedish educational institution and are able to guarantee that they can support themselves financially.
  • Citizens of South Africa and many other African, Asian and some eastern European countries require tourist visas for entry to Sweden (and any other Schengen country). These are only available in advance from Swedish embassies (allow two months); there’s a nonrefundable application fee of €60 (€35 for children aged six to 12) for most applicants. Visas are good for any 90 days within a six-month period; extensions aren’t easily obtainable.
  • Migrationsverket (www.migrationsverket.se) is the Swedish migration board and handles all applications for visas and work or residency permits.