Sri Lankan Rupee (Rs)
Budget: Less than Rs 6000
- Simple guesthouse: Rs 2000–3500
- Local rice and curry: Rs 150–350
- Bus fares: under Rs 300 per day
Midrange: Rs 6000–20,000
- Double room in a good place: Rs 3500–9000
- Meals at hotel/restaurant: Rs 1000–3000
- Hire bikes, ride trains and use a car and driver some days: average per day Rs 3000
Top end: More than Rs 20,000
- Top-end hotel: Rs 9000 and up
- Meals at top-end places: from Rs 3000
- Daily use of car and driver: from Rs 9000
Unless you are shopping at a fixed-price shop, you must bargain. Generally, if someone quotes you a price, halve it. The seller will come down about halfway to your price, and the last price will be a little higher than half the original price. Try and keep a sense of perspective. Chances are you’re arguing over less than US$1.
Seylan Bank Changes foreign currency and has a 24-hour ATM.