Sri Lanka is an easy place to navigate if you remember a few key points.
- Temple footwear Remove shoes and hats at temples. Socks are OK for walking scorching pavements.
- Clothing Cover shoulders, arms and legs at temples as directed.
- Buddha statues Never pose beside or in front of a statue (ie with your back to it), as this is considered disrespectful.
- Buddha images Displaying body art or wearing clothing that includes an image of the Buddha can get you arrested and deported.
- Photography Ask permission before photographing people. A few business-oriented folk like the stilt fishermen at Koggala will ask for payment.
- Beach attire Nude and topless sunbathing are not allowed on beaches.
- Modesty Overt displays of affection are frowned upon.
- Avoid left hands These are considered unclean. Use both hands or just your right.