History

Though Jean de Béthencourt conquered the island in 1405, Valverde only established itself as the island's leading town in the 16th century. Many islanders fled to this small inland hamlet seeking shelter during a disastrous 1610 hurricane, beginning a relative boom that would eventually see the town become the seat of the municipio (town council) that covered the whole island. The island’s first town council was established here in the early 20th century.