Two airports serve the island. Tenerife Sur Airport, about 20km east of Playa de las Américas, handles international flights, while almost all inter-island flights (plus a few international and mainland services) use the older and smaller Tenerife Norte Airport, located near Santa Cruz in the north of the island. Binter Canarias, CanaryFly and Air Europa connect the island with the rest of the archipelago. Flying is the fastest way to travel between the islands and prices are very competitive.
Ferries from Santa Cruz
Buy tickets for all companies from travel agents or from the main Estación Marítima Muelle Ribera in Santa Cruz de Tenerife (from where the Fred Olsen boats leave). Naviera Armas has its base further to the south.
Trasmediterránea Acciona runs a ferry at 11.30pm every Friday from Santa Cruz that makes the following stops:
- Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Gran Canaria (from €22, 8½ hours)
- Puerto del Rosario, Fuerteventura (from €26, 20½ hours)
- Arrecife, Lanzarote (from €28, 24 hours)
Naviera Armas runs an extensive ferry service around the islands from Santa Cruz, to the following locations:
- Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Gran Canaria (from €31, 2½ hours, 21 weekly)
- Morro Jable, Fuerteventura (from €70, 6½ hours, one daily)
- Puerto del Rosario, Fuerteventura (from €62, 11½ hours, one daily)
- Arrecife, Lanzarote (from €73, 11 hours, one daily Monday to Friday)
Fred Olsen has three to six daily ferries from Santa Cruz to Agaete in the northwest of Gran Canaria (€36, 1¼ hours), from where you can take its free bus onwards to Las Palmas (35 minutes).
Ferries from Los Cristianos
Ferries run in and out of the Los Cristianos port day and night. Naviera Armas and the faster but more expensive Fred Olsen services operate from here. Tickets are available from travel agents or from the main Estación Marítima building.
Routes operated by Naviera Armas from Los Cristianos include the following:
- San Sebastián de la Gomera, La Gomera (€30, one hour, three daily Monday to Friday, one Saturday, two Sunday)
- Santa Cruz de la Palma, La Palma (€41, 3½ hours, one daily Sunday to Friday)
- Valverde, El Hierro (€50, 3¾ hours, daily Sunday to Friday)
Routes operated by Fred Olsen from Los Cristianos include the following:
- San Sebastián de la Gomera, La Gomera (€32, 50 minutes, three daily Monday to Friday, two daily Saturday and Sunday)
- Santa Cruz de la Palma, La Palma (from €42, two hours, one daily Sunday to Friday)