Drinking & Nightlife
Whether you are seeking a superb cup of coffee, a killer cocktail or just a long cold cerveza (beer) at a terrace bar, Tenerife has a multitude of choices. Terrace bars are probably where you’ll spend a lot of your time and, with such an intoxicating combination of feel-good factors, what’s not to like?
The wine of Tenerife (and the Canaries in general) isn’t well known internationally, but it’s starting to earn more of a name for itself. The best-known, and first to earn the DO grade (Denominación de Origen), which certifies high standards and regional origin, is the red Tacoronte Acentejo. Also worth a tipple are the wines produced in Icod de los Vinos and Guimar. You can visit Museo de Malvasia in Icod de los Vinos for a selection of wines and tasting opportunities.
The Casa del Vino la Baranda in El Sauzal also offers wine tasting. Other local tipples include La Dorada lager-style beer brewed in Santa Cruz de Tenerife, and the Canary Islands first ecological craft brewery, based in Los Realejos: Tierra de Perros (www.facebook.com/CervezaArtesanalTierraDePerros), producing pale ale and stout varieties of ale.
Choosing Your Coffee
What you need to know for your daily brew: café con leche – about 50% coffee, 50% hot milk; sombra – the same, but heavier on the milk; café solo – a short black coffee (or espresso); cortado – an espresso with a splash of milk; and cortado de leche y leche – espresso made with condensed and normal milk.
- La Casita A charming, small Santa Cruz cafe and bar with old-world decor and gorgeous buttery cakes.
- Ebano Café Long-standing and elegant cafe in Puerto de la Cruz with terrace seating and a relaxed vibe.
- Café Palmelita This Santa Cruz cafe has superb pastries and opportunities to people-watch on the city's main shopping drag.
- Mojos y Mojitos Yep, the mojitos are pretty good at this animated bar in the centre of Santa Cruz.
- Agora Seriously relaxing ambience at this easy-going bar serving cocktails on a charming square in Puerto de la Cruz.
- Bar el Pincho Has some of the best sea views at sunset from its sprawling terrace above the promenade in Playa de las Américas.
- Papagayo Attracts a super-chic crowd with its stylish white-on-white decor and beachfront location.