Getting Active on Tenerife
Possibly no other island in the archipelago offers so many opportunities to burn off calories than Tenerife. Windsurfing, kitesurfing, diving, hiking, fishing, golf and cycling are all not just possible here, but almost impossible to avoid. For watersports most facilities are concentrated in and around the southwestern resort areas, although the north coast has a wide variety of surf spots.
Tenerife is marvellous for hiking and climbing with plenty of scope, ranging from easy rambles to mountain assaults. For the most dramatic scenery, choose from the many trails within the Parque Nacional del Teide. Other attractive areas are the Anaga mountains in the northeast and around the Valle de la Orotava. There are numerous companies offering guided walks, as well as the rangers at El Teide. Check the following websites and ask at any tourist office for details:
- www.gregorio-teneriffa.de, in German
Don't Miss: Tenerife's Best Hikes
Getting Away from it All – Tenerife Spas
Holidaying can be tough, especially when there’s so darn much to see and do. Thank goodness for day spas.
- Aqua Club Termal Around Costa Adeje, escape to this sophisticated aqua club which, according to its promotional bumf, is the most comprehensive thermal and sports complex in Europe. It has 6000 sq metres of floor space, all dedicated to pampering. Don’t miss the Turkish bath.
- Vitanova Spa Located on the Costa Adeje, this spa offers massages and facials as well as such scrumptious delights as a chocolate massage and an anticellulite scrub with seaweed and grapes.
- Mare Nostrum Part of this major resort in Playa de las Américas and sure to spoil. There are those enticing-sounding fungal wraps and electrotherapy for serious spa-goers, and massages and steam baths for those seeking to de-stress.
- Hotel Botánico Spa This exclusive hotel has an oriental spa centre offering wellness therapies and treatments, plus a Thai pagoda surrounded by lush gardens for traditional Thai massage, and a hammam (Turkish-style steam bath).