Three months before Reserve your accommodation early, especially for the southern resorts.
One month before Buy tickets online for world-class performances at Santa Cruz de Tenerife’s Auditorio de Tenerife and make reservations for the best restaurants.
One week before Reserve a place in advance for climbing to El Teide’s summit: if you allow a week you'll be likely of getting a space.
Lonely Planet (www.lonelyplanet.com/canary-islands) Destination information, hotel bookings, traveller forum and more.
Tenerife (www.webtenerife.com) Official tourism site with comprehensive information on all aspects of the island.
Reservas Parques Nacionales (www.reservasparquesnacionales.es) For the latest on climbing El Teide.
- If using the bus frequently, invest in a Ten+ Travel Card (www.titsa.com), which gets you 30% off the ticket price (except on Teide and Teno lines).
- For inexpensive restaurant dining order the menú del día for lunch.
- Request tap water (un vaso de agua del grifo) rather than the overpriced bottled variety.
- Always make sure valuables are kept out of sight in your car.
- Look out for free entry to sights, often on the first Sunday of the month.
- Check your bills in restaurants to ensure you haven't been overcharged.
- If bringing kids, always ask at the tourist offices for a list of family activities.