When to Go
High Season (Dec–Apr & Jul–Aug)
- Coincides with Christmas, Carnaval season and Easter.
- Accommodation prices are highest in January and February.
- Mid-summer, especially August, is holiday time on the Spanish mainland, so expect more visitors.
- July and August are the hottest months of the year, but temperatures rarely climb higher than 38°C.
- Rain is possible from January to March, especially in the mountains.
Shoulder (May–Jun & Sep–Nov)
- Temperatures average around 28°C, nights are cooler.
- Fewer tourists visit in the autumn overall.
- Higher altitudes, particularly in Gran Canaria, Tenerife and El Hierro, can be far cooler with some fog.