Mallorca in detail

Entry & Exit Formalities

Entry and exit procedures in Mallorca are generally smooth and not overly officious.

Customs Regulations

There are no duty-free allowances for travel between EU countries and no restrictions on the import of duty-paid items into Spain from other EU countries for personal use.

VAT-free articles can be bought at airport shops when travelling between EU countries.

Duty-free allowances for travellers entering Spain from outside the EU include 2L of wine (or 1L of wine and 1L of spirits) and 200 cigarettes, 50 cigars or 250g of tobacco.


Citizens of most of the 28 European Union member states and Switzerland can travel to Spain with their national identity card. Citizens of countries that don’t issue ID cards, such as the UK, need a full passport. All other nationalities must have a full valid passport, and a few even require visas. Full details can be found at the website of the Spanish Foreign Office (

If applying for a visa, check that your passport’s expiry date is at least six months away. Non-EU citizens must fill out a landing card.

By law you are technically supposed to carry your passport or ID card with you at all times.


Generally not required for stays of up to 90 days; not required for members of EU or Schengen countries. Some nationalities will need a Schengen visa.

Visa Requirements

Spain is one of 26 member countries of the Schengen Convention, under which 22 EU countries (all but Bulgaria, Cyprus, Ireland, Romania and the UK) plus Iceland, Norway and Switzerland have abolished checks at common borders.

To work or study in Spain a special visa may be required – contact a Spanish embassy or consulate before you travel.

Citizens or Residents ofVisa Required?
EU & Schengen countriesNo
Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, NZ and the USANot required for tourist visits of up to 90 days
Other countriesCheck the Foreign Office website (

Extensions & Residence

You can apply for no more than two visas in any 12-month period and they are not renewable once in Spain.

Nationals of EU countries, Iceland, Norway and Switzerland can enter and leave Spain at will and don’t need to apply for a tarjeta de residencia (residence card), although they are supposed to apply for residence papers and must meet certain criteria.

People of other nationalities who want to stay in Spain longer than 90 days require one of two types of residence card – for less than or more than six months. Getting one can be a drawn-out process, starting with an appropriate visa issued by a Spanish consulate in their country of residence. Start the process well in advance.