When to Go
High Season (Apr–Aug)
- Most places bask in temperate sunshine, with comfortable (but often chilly) nights.
- Cape Town (a more Mediterranean climate) experiences rain and blustery winds.
- High season in Botswana and Namibia begins in June and runs until October.
Shoulder (Feb, Mar, Sep & Oct)
- Usually quite comfortable in the region's central areas.
- Great time to visit with good wildlife viewing but fewer tourist numbers.
- Rains in Botswana and Namibia make getting off-road difficult, but it's high season in the Kalahari.
Low Season (Nov–Jan)
- In the north, plan for inclement weather.
- Heat can be oppressive and travel more difficult due to washed-out roads.
- Birdwatching and thunderstorms at their best.