Lonely Planet (www.lonelyplanet.com) Destination information, hotel bookings, traveller forum and more.
Regional Tourism Organisation of Southern Africa (www.retosa.co.za) Promotes tourism in the region.
Zambezi Traveller (www.zambezitraveller.com) Travel info for destinations along the Zambezi River.
Safari Bookings (www.safaribookings.com) Fantastic resource for booking your safari, with expert and traveller reviews.
Expert Africa (www.expertafrica.com) A tour operator with extensive online coverage of the region.
- Book your luxury lodge or tented camp, or your self-drive campsite, many months in advance for June or July to October.
- Book months ahead also for your 4WD rental vehicle.
- Consider taking an off-road introductory driving course before setting out.
- If driving, fill up with fuel at every available opportunity – you never quite know when supplies will run out, and off-road driving uses up much more fuel than you might think.
- At many luxury lodges or tented camps, laundry is usually included, so no need for a really full suitcase.
- Distances can be long – plan your trip to see a few places well instead of trying to see everything and ending up spending all your trip driving.
What to Take
- Binoculars and a field guide
- Mosquito repellent, net and malaria medicine
- Neutral-coloured clothing for safari
- Small beanbag for steadying camera while in vehicles
- Torch (flashlight)
- Wind- and waterproof jacket
- Yellow fever vaccination certificate
- Zoom lens, spare camera batteries and memory cards
- Swiss Army knife
What to Wear
Loose-fitting, light casual wear is recommended. If you're self-driving and camping, dress codes don't really apply. For luxury lodges and tented camps, a nice set of clothes (eg a button-up shirt for men) or two is a good idea for dinner. Out on safari, light neutral tones are recommended.
- Make sure your passport is valid for at least six months past your arrival date
- Check airline baggage restrictions (most charter flights to luxury lodges have strict limits, usually around 15kg)
- Inform your debit-/credit-card company that you’re heading away
- Arrange for appropriate travel insurance
- Book your accommodation as early as you can