Volunteering is a great way to get to know the South Pacific and have an adventure while doing something worthwhile. There are all sorts of volunteering organisations in operation here, some requiring long-term commitments and experience or tertiary qualifications in specific fields, others based around the notion of short-term working holidays and community projects.
For more information, contact the following:
- Australian Volunteers International (www.australianvolunteers.com)
- Global Volunteers (www.globalvolunteers.org)
- Madventurer (www.madventurer.com)
- Projects Abroad (www.projects-abroad.org)
- South Pacific Projects (www.southpacificprojects.org)
- UN Volunteers (www.unv.org)
- Vinaka Fiji (www.vinakafiji.com.fj)
- Voluntary Service Overseas (www.vso.org.uk)
- Volunteer Service Abroad (www.vsa.org.nz)
- World Wildlife Fund (www.panda.org)
See also Lonely Planet’s Volunteer: A Traveller’s Guide to Making a Difference Around the World – an excellent resource for those interested in making a contribution to the South Pacific or elsewhere.