When to Go
High Season (Dec–Mar)
- It's high season in Brazil and the Atlantic coast; beaches and festivals (such as Carnaval) are big draws.
- The best time to visit Patagonia, though expect higher prices.
- It's dry season in the Amazon, making for fine wildlife-watching.
- Fewer crowds and lower prices make this a good time to visit Buenos Aires, Rio and other coastal destinations.
Low Season (Jul–Aug)
- In Chile and Argentina, many services close at beach resorts, and mountain passes can be blocked by snow.