update your settings
High Season (Nov–Mar)
• Peak times are early December to mid-January and around Easter.
• Coastal and national-park accommodation books up months in advance.
• In popular holiday spots, accommodation prices can rise by 50% or more.
Shoulder (Apr–May & Sep–Oct)
• Sunny autumn (Apr–May) and spring (Sep–Oct) weather.
• Optimum wildlife-watching conditions from autumn onwards.
• Wildflower season late August to early September.
• Whale watching best around spring.
Low Season (Jun–Aug)
• Winter is ideal for wildlife watching.
• Rainy season in Cape Town and the Western Cape.
• Prices generally low.
• A good time to visit arid areas such as the Karoo.
Get 20% off at our online shop.
Lonely Planet. All rights reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced without our written permission.