South African rand (R)
Budget: Less than R1000
- Hostel dorm bed: from R160
- Budget main dish (cheaper areas): less than R75
- Two-week hop-on, hop-off Baz Bus pass: R4100
- Free entry to some museums
- Double room: R700-4000
- Midrange main dish: R75-200
- Jo'burg–Cape Town tourist-class train: R690
- Single-room supplements common, usually 30–40%
Top end: More than R2500
- Double room (more expensive areas): over R4000
- Top-end main dish (more expensive areas): over R200
- Pretoria–Cape Town Blue Train: R20,280
- Cape Town–Jo'burg flight: from R1000
- Wildlife drive: from R500
Haggling is common in African craft markets; in most other instances you’re expected to pay the stated price.
There are several banks located across town and in major shopping malls.
First National Bank In a handy location in the city centre.