Somaliland shilling (SISh); US dollars (US$)
- Budget hotel room: US$10
- Local-style meal: US$2
- 4WD hire per day: US$150
- Police escort per day: US$20
- Somaliland’s currency is the Somaliland shilling (SISh). There are bills of SISh500 and SISh1000.
- Your best bet is to carry considerable amounts of US dollars (vastly preferable to euros) that can be exchanged for shillings in hotels, shops and bureaux de change; payment in US dollars is accepted everywhere. Bring a good stash of smaller denomination bills.
- At the time of writing one ATM was being installed in Hargeisa, and there were plans to introduce more ATMs in the city. Don’t get too excited, though – there’s no guarantee that they will work with foreign credit cards; check while in Hargeisa.
- There’s no chance of changing your travellers cheques.
- If you need to wire money, you’ll find Dahabshiil, Western Union and WorldRemit offices in Hargeisa.
US$1 = SISh6500
For current exchange rates see www.xe.com.