Ptuj castle is an agglomeration of styles from the 14th to the 18th centuries, but is nonetheless a majestic sight, sitting high on the hill overlooking the red-roofed burger houses of Ptuj and the Drava River. It h…
In front of the City Tower stands the 5m-tall Orpheus Monument, a Roman tombstone from the 2nd century with scenes from the Orpheus myth. It was used as a pillory in the Middle Ages; those found guilty of a crime we…
In the middle of Slovenski trg, this tower was erected in the 16th century. Roman tombstones and sacrificial altars from Poetovio were incorporated into the walls in the 1830s – check the reliefs of Medusa’s head, d…
About 150m west of the Minorite Monastery is circular Drava Tower, a Renaissance water tower built as a defence against the Turks in 1551. It houses the Mihelič Gallery, which hosts exhibitions of modern art.
The renovated yellow pile called the Little Castle was the erstwhile home of the Salzburg bishops and a number of aristocratic families over the centuries.
On the northern side of Slovenski trg, Ljutomer House now houses the TIC; the Mediterranean-style loge was built in 1565.
On the northern side of Slovenski Trg are several interesting buildings, including the 16th-century Provost’s House,
Ptuj's baroque Old Town Hall is one of several interesting buildings on the northern side of Slovenski trg.
The Late Gothic House, dating from about 1400, has an unusual projection held up by a Moor's head.
Ptuj castle’s Renaissance Peruzzi Portal (1570) adorns the castle approach from Grajska ulica.