Ljubljana, home to both the Opera Ballet Ljubljana and the Slovenian Philharmonic, dominates Slovenia’s highbrow cultural calendar. The location of the country’s biggest and most important university, with thousands of students, the capital is also the centre of the alternative, indie and rock live-music scene. The entertainment scene quiets down quite a bit outside of Ljubljana, though students in Maribor keep things happening there during the academic year.
- Kino Šiška Renovated movie theatre hosts mainly indie and alternative bands from around Slovenia and Europe.
- Gala Hala Metelkova Mesto's biggest and best venue to catch live alternative, indie and rock several nights a week.
- Slovenian People’s Theatre The 'SLG' encompasses part of a medieval tower once used as a dungeon.
- Opera Ballet Ljubljana Home to the acclaimed Slovenian National Opera and Ballet companies.
- Jazz Klub Satchmo Maribor’s celebrated jazz club meets in a wonderful cellar in the art gallery building.
- Channel Zero Popular venue at the capital’s Metelkova Mesto featuring reggae, dub, punk and hardcore.