Slovenes are inveterate coffee drinkers and the country is filled with excellent cafes. Beer is normally drunk in a pub (pivnica) and wine sampled in a wine shop (vinoteka) or a wine bar, but in practice the distinctions are often blurred. In addition to coffee, many cafes also offer a broad selection of soft drinks, wine and beer. Ljubljana is home to the country’s most vibrant clubbing and DJ scene.
Drinking & Nightlife
- Café Teater Grand waterfront terrace and faux antique furnishings draw everyone who’s anyone in Piran.
- Layerjeva hiša Kranj's best coffeehouse does double and triple duty as an art gallery and a cultural centre.
- Luft Bar Always a sucker for views, we love the old Slavija Hotel for its two-level rooftop cafe-bar.
- Magda What makes Magda so special? The expertly prepared espressos, craft gins and homemade brandy.
- Slovenska Hiša A favourite boozer in Ljubljana with artisanal coffees and wines and spirits sourced only in Slovenia.
- Klub Daktari Rabbit warren of a watering hole is so chill there’s practically frost on the windows.