Slovakia is part of the Schengen area, an EU territory that allows free movement of people across internal borders without checks. Non-EU passports should have an expiry date of ideally no less than six months after the visitor's intended departure date.
- There are no limits on tobacco and alcohol products brought into Slovakia from other EU countries.
- Limits apply to alcohol and tobacco (respectively, up to 2 litres of spirits and 200 cigarettes) if you're travelling from non-EU countries.
- Meat and dairy products may not be brought in from non-EU countries.
Visas are not required for most visitors staying less than 90 days.
For a full list of visa requirements, see www.mzv.sk (under 'Consular Info').
- No visa is required for EU citizens.
- Visitors from Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Japan and the US do not need a visa for stays up to 90 days.
- Nationals from many African and Asian countries require a visa. For the full list see www.slovak-republic.org/visa-embassies.
- The Schengen visa grants access not only to Slovakia but to 25 additional European countries.