Dangers & Annoyances
Slovakia is generally safe, with a courteous culture and active police presence.
- Hike cautiously, keep hold of mountain-rescue phone numbers and tell someone where you're heading. Weather conditions change rapidly.
- Beware overpriced-drinks scams where attractive strangers insist on taking you to a specific bar.
- Unscrupulous taxi drivers overcharge tourists, especially in Bratislava. Insist on the meter.
- Locals may warn against visiting deprived areas; follow their advice, if only to escape uncomfortable stares.
- If driving across the border with Ukraine, beware lurkers near your car. One scam is to damage tyres and have an accomplice offer 'assistance' down the road.