What to Take
- Sturdy shoes for hiking (and negotiating decrepit pavements)
- Lightweight, quick-dry trousers
- Sandals or flip-flops for the beach
- Strong insect repellent
- A light raincoat
- A torch
- A three-pin electrical adapter
- Lightweight or sheet sleeping bag
- A cotton sweater for cooler nights upcountry
- A first-aid kit
What to Wear
Sierra Leone is fairly conservative, so while shorts and flip-flops are fine at the beach, it's best to wear trousers or skirts in the city and upcountry. Bring some smart outfits if you plan to sample some of Freetown's swisher restaurants or take in the local club scene.
- Organise your tourist visa in advance – at the Sierra Leone embassy or online via Visit Sierra Leone.
- Make sure you've had the relevant vaccinations.
- Start taking your anti-malarial tablets.
- Book your first night's accommodation.
- Carry some cash with you to change on arrival at the airport.