Queensferry, also known as South Queensferry, is at the narrowest part of the Firth of Forth, where ferries have crossed to Fife from the earliest times. The village takes its name from Queen Margaret (1046–93), who gave pilgrims free passage across the firth on their way to St Andrews. Ferries continued to operate until 1964, when the graceful Forth Road Bridge was opened; this was followed by a second road bridge, the Queensferry Crossing (2017).
Predating the first road bridge by 74 years, the magnificent Forth Bridge – only outsiders ever call it the Forth Rail Bridge – is one of the finest engineering achievements of the 19th century. Opened in 1890 as the world's first major steel structure, its three huge cantilevers span 1630m and took 53,000 tonnes of steel, 6.5 million rivets and the lives of 73 men to build.