pounds sterling (£)
Budget: Less than £40
- Dorm bed: £16–25
- Wild camping: free
- Food from supermarket: £5–10
- Double room at midrange B&B: £65–100
- Bar lunch: £12
- Dinner at midrange restaurant: £30
- Car hire: £38
- Petrol costs (per mile): around 15p
Top End: More than £130
- Double room at high-end hotel: £130–250
- Dinner at high-end restaurant: £40–60
- Flights to islands (each way): £65–130
A bit of mild haggling is acceptable at ﬂea markets and antique shops, but everywhere else you're expected to pay the advertised price.
ATMs widely available. Credit cards widely accepted.
For current exchange rates, see www.xe.com.
- Hotels One pound per bag is standard; gratuity for cleaning staff is completely at your discretion.
- Pubs Not expected unless table service is provided, then £1 for a round of drinks.
- Restaurants For decent service 10%, and up to 15% at more expensive places. Check to see if service has been added to the bill already (most likely for large groups).
- Taxis Generally rounded up to the nearest pound.