pounds sterling (£)
Budget: Less than £40
- Dorm bed: £16–25
- Wild camping: free
- Food from supermarket: £5–10
- Double room at midrange B&B: £65–100
- Bar lunch: £12
- Dinner at midrange restaurant: £30
- Car hire: £38
- Petrol costs (per mile): around 15p
Top End: More than £130
- Double room at high-end hotel: £130–250
- Dinner at high-end restaurant: £40–60
- Flights to islands (each way): £65–130
A bit of mild haggling is acceptable at ﬂea markets and antique shops, but everywhere else you're expected to pay the advertised price.
There are banks with ATMs in Stornoway (Lewis), Tarbert (Harris), Lochmaddy (North Uist), Balivanich (Benbecula), Lochboisdale (South Uist) and Castlebay (Barra). Elsewhere, some hotels and shops offer cash-back facilities.