Welcome to Saunders Island
The first British garrison on the Falklands was built in 1765 at Port Egmont. In 1767, after France ceded its colony to Spain, Spanish forces dislodged the British from Saunders and nearly precipitated a war between the two countries. After the British left voluntarily in 1774, the Spaniards razed the settlement, including its impressive blockhouse. Remaining are jetties, extensive foundations and some of the buildings’ walls, plus garden terraces built by British marines. The numerous rockhopper penguins breeding on the island have actually clawed grooves into rocks as they clamber out of the surf; gentoo, king and Magellanic penguins also breed here.