What to Take
- US dollars and euros
- Credit card (preferably Visa)
- Two-pin continental Europe electrical adaptor
- Your driving licence if you plan to hire a car
- Mosquito repellent
- Good walking shoes – for gorilla/chimp tracking and volcano climbing
- A small day pack
- Phone and laptop – wi-fi is widespread in Rwanda
What to Wear
While you'll be glad of safari clothing (light shirts, long pants, waterproof shoes, rain jacket) if you plan to visit the national parks, you'll also benefit from bringing some smart casual clothing if you plan to eat out or go out in Kigali. Garments with long sleeves are a good idea for the evening to prevent mosquito bites. Other than that, Rwanda is a delightfully laid-back place and you don't need to worry too much about appropriate clothing.
- Obtain a yellow fever vaccination certificate, which will be checked at the border.
- Buy a mosquito repellent spray or cream specifically for the tropics.
- Arrange your gorilla permit through a tour operator.