- Taiga This cool collection of shops and businesses just moments from the Hermitage is well worth exploring.
- Udelnaya Fair Find the gems among the junk at this amazing, sprawling place.
- Kupetz Eliseevs Glam deli and confectioners that's great for edible gifts.
- Rediskа Eye-catching arts and crafts made in-house or produced by St Petersburg artisans.
- Au Pont Rouge Superglam department store specialising in fashion in a gorgeous Russian Style Moderne building.
- Northway The best place in town for matryoshki (nesting dolls) and many other Russian souvenirs.
- Tula Samovars A great selection of these typically Russian traditional hot-water dispensers.
- Military Shop Get your Russian Army uniforms and other military paraphernalia here.
- Imenno Lavka Showcase for quirky gifts, accessories, books and interior-design products by local talents.
- Snegiri Traditional felt slippers and booties given a contemporary fashion spin.
- Imperial Porcelain As once patronised by the Russian royal family.
- Day & Night Emporium of big-name brands and international fashion labels on the Petrograd Side.
- Nevsky 152 A very fancy 'concept store' housing a number of international fashion brands under one roof.
- 8 Store Inside Taiga, this is a stylish boutique selling clothes and accessories from local designers.
- Tatyana Parfionova The Nevsky pr boutique of St Petersburg's original and most famous couturier.
- 21 Shop Street fashion that's fun and affordable.
- Matryoshka Clothing and accessories inspired by the Russian nesting doll silhouette.
Books, CDs, DVDs
- Dom Knigi The city's largest bookshop is a sight in itself, with a huge range to choose from.
- Staraya Kniga Pick your way through two centuries of old books.
- Anglia The best English-language bookshop in St Petersburg.
- Phonoteka Cool range of vinyls, CDs, film and documentary on DVD from around the world.
- Erarta Commercial galleries here are a great place to buy contemporary Russian art.
- Borey Art Centre Take the pulse of the local artistic underground here.
- Sol-Art Attached to the next-door art school, this is a great place to buy paintings by local artists.
- Artmuza Plenty of small galleries in this huge creative cluster on Vasilyevsky Island.
- Perinnye Ryady An arcade of art-and-craft shops where you'll find unique souvenirs.