- Mariinsky Theatre The classic St Petersburg theatre oozes history and has a dazzling interior.
- Mikhailovsky Theatre Another historic theatre in which to see top-quality ballet and opera productions.
- Hermitage Theatre Watching a classical concert inside the Hermitage is a memorable, if pricey, experience.
- Yusupov Palace Theatre This charming minitheatre was once the private stage of the Yusupovs.
- Alexandrinsky Theatre See ballet and drama on the stage where Chekhov’s The Seagull premiered.
- Dom Kino One of the best places to catch international art-house movies in their original language.
- Rodina Two screens and a quality programme of cinema from around the world.
- Kino&Teatr Angleter This modern cinema is comfortable and offers original-language movies.
- New Stage Movies are screened on the roof of this contemporary drama and dance theatre in the summer.
- Lendok Come here to catch international seasons of documentary films.
Live Music Venues
- A2 St Petersburg's top live-music venue is this superb and professionally run Petrograd Side place.
- Cosmonaut Another large and modern venue for seeing live acts.
- Kamchatka A homage to Kino's Viktor Tsoy, this club is where to see new local acts do their thing.
- Fish Fabrique The ultimate St Petersburg music venue, this veritable institution is favoured by a bohemian crowd.
- St Petersburg State Circus Always a blast for children, this well-established circus puts on a great show.
- Feel Yourself Russian Folkshow An excellent way to see traditional folk dances performed with great flair.
- Bolshoy Puppet Theatre St Petersburg's main puppet theatre has a program of shows aimed at children.
- Demmeni Marionette Theatre Excellent puppet theatre, with performances aimed at kids.
- Upsala Circus Great performing arts project working with vulnerable kids and teens.
For Classical Music
- Glinka Capella House The building alone is reason to visit this superb concert venue.
- Rimsky-Korsakov Conservatory Breathe in the history at this illustrious music school.
- Mariinsky Concert Hall A relatively recent addition to the city's concert halls, with fabulous acoustics.
- Shostakovich Philharmonia Home to two world-famous symphony orchestras, this is a classic venue for the classics.
- Maly Drama Theatre A small space that sometimes performs plays with English subtitles.
- St Petersburg Theatre of Musical Comedy One of the best venues for music and ballet during the White Nights.
- Bolshoy Drama Theatre This venerable theatre is in a beautiful building on the Fontanka River.
- Baltic House A good place to catch international theatre troupes and experimental productions.