- EM Restaurant Contemporary Russian dining at its very best.
- Cococo Culinary creativity run rampant with plenty of local ingredients.
- Gräs x Madbaren Scandi-cool meets Russian locavore at this hip central restaurant.
- Yat Traditional charm in a country-cottage environment moments from the Hermitage.
- Duo Gastrobar Super-stylish fusion food in an equally smart environment.
- Koryushka Stunning Neva views and a great menu featuring St Petersburg's beloved fish speciality.
- Marketplace A smart and great-value cafeteria-style place with oodles of choice and several outlets in the city.
- Obed Bufet Modern take on the Soviet canteen, boasting huge choice and swanky surroundings.
- Dekabrist Well located for a post-Hermitage meal, this modern cafe is excellent value.
- Bekitzer Israel-themed eatery and bar serving the best falafel wraps this side of the Baltic sea.
- Chekhov Excellent Russian food served in a traditional Russian dacha-style environment.
- Romeo's Bar & Kitchen A superb Italian restaurant with a solid reputation.
- Hamlet + Jacks Splits its inventive menu between dishes made with local or international ingredients.
- Lev y Ptichka Friendly Georgian restaurant with delicious and reasonably priced food.
- Kuznya House New Holland's main restaurant offers a creative, globe-trotting menu.
- Zoom Café This cosy, cuddly-toy filled space in the heart of town serves up a mean Russian breakfast.
- Grey's A pared back but elegant spot for weekend brunch, or a simple weekday breakfast.
- Mechtateli Serves breakfast until 2pm at weekends from a great location overlooking the Fontanka River.
- Teplo Its name translates as 'warm' and you'll quickly understand why: this place feels like a home away from home.
- Khochu Kharcho This sprawling Georgian restaurant offers you a filling meal at any time of day.
- Jean-Jacques French favourite that's perfect for very-late-night or early-morning grazing.
- Brynza Caucasian food outlet that never sleeps, found just off Nevsky pr.
- Stolovaya No 1 Kopeika Enjoy round-the-clock access to the Russian dishes at this modern canteen.
- Sadko With waiters who sing opera between courses, this is a favourite spot for dining near the Mariinsky.
- Co-op Garage Cool spot for creatively topped thin-crust pizzas and craft beers.
- Botanika This place's vegetarianism has translated into a Zen-like calm you won't find elsewhere.
- Paninaro Italian gem inside a striking apartment building on the Petrograd Side.
- Banshiki Serving up a huge variety of nostalgic dishes with a contemporary touch.
- Gogol Conjures up post-revolutionary urban style with fine Russian home cooking.
- Staraya Derevnya Family-run hideaway with intimate atmosphere and delicious meals.
- Severyanin Experience old-fashioned elegance at this top choice for Russian cuisine.