Budget: Less than R1500
- Dorm bed: R800
- Cafe or street-stall meal: R200–R500
- Travel on buses and metro: R40-45
- Double room in a midrange hotel: R3000-15,000
- Two-course meal: R1000
- Museum entry fee: R100–R400
- City-centre taxi ride: R150
Top End: Over R15,000
- Double room in a top-end hotel: R15000+
- Two-course meal with wine: R2000+
- Ballet tickets: R3500
- First-class train ticket, Moscow–St Petersburg: R7300
Prices are fixed in shops, but at souvenir markets, such as Izmailovo in Moscow, polite haggling over prices is a good idea.
ATMs are everywhere and debit and credit cards are accepted in most places. Still, it's always a good idea to carry some cash.
ATMs are widespread, and credit cards accepted in most restaurants, cafes and shops.
US dollars and euros are easy to change around St Petersburg, but other currencies will undoubtedly cause more hassle than they are worth. Whatever currency you bring should be in good condition, as banks and exchange bureaus (обмен валют) do not accept old, tatty bills with rips or tears. Be prepared to show your passport when exchanging money.
Credit & Debit Cards
Credit cards, especially Visa and MasterCard, and various debit cards are widely accepted in hotels, restaurants and shops. You can also use your credit card to get a cash advance at most major banks in St Petersburg. You may be asked for photo ID when you use a credit card in a shop or restaurant, but this is increasingly rare as their use becomes more and more common.
The Russian currency is the rouble (рубль), abbreviated as ‘р' in Russian or R in English. There are 100 kopeks in a rouble and these come in coin denominations of one (rarely seen), five, 10 and 50. Also issued in coins, roubles come in amounts of one, two, five and 10, with banknotes in values of 10, 50, 100, 200, 500, 1000, 2000 and 5000 roubles.
- Restaurants Leaving 10% on the table is the norm, when service has been good. Not necessary at very cheap places.
- Bars Not expected unless table service is provided. Then 10%.
- Taxis Not expected, but round up or add R50 for a long trip.
- Hotels R50 per bag.