When to Go
High Season (Jun–Sep)
- Hot weather across most of the country.
- Peak season for Russians to go on holiday; book air and rail tickets in advance.
- Prices can rise in St Petersburg during White Nights in June and July.
Shoulder (May & Oct)
- Late spring and early autumn see the country bathed in the fresh greenery or russet shades of the seasons.
- Good time for cultural events in cities and major parades on Victory Day (9 May).
Low Season (Nov–Apr)
- Snow falls and temperatures plummet, creating the wintery Russia of the imagination.
- Nationwide New Year's party mayhem is followed by a week of holidays, when hotel prices soar.