Russian rouble (R)
Budget: Less than R1500
- Dorm bed: R700–R800
- Café or street-stall meal: R200–R500
- Travel on buses and metro: R15–R50
- Double room in a midrange hotel: R2000–R3000
- Two-course meal: R500–R1000
- Museum entry fee: R100–R400
- City-centre taxi ride: R200–R300
Top End: More than R4000
- Double room in a top-end hotel: R5000-plus
- Two-course meal with wine: R2000-plus
- Ballet tickets: R3500
- First-class train ticket (eg Moscow–St Petersburg): R7300
Prices are fixed in shops, but at souvenir markets, such as Izmailovo in Moscow, polite haggling over prices is a good idea.
ATMs can be found in the Mayak and Priboy hotels.