Top Choice Nature Reserve in Krasnoyarsk

Stolby Nature Reserve

Krasnoyarsk’s biggest draw are the fingers and towers of volcanic rock called stolby. These poke above the woods in the 17,000-hectare Stolby Nature Reserve (Zapovednik Stolby). To reach the main concentration of ro…
Museum in Krasnoyarsk

Regional Museum

Housed in an incongruously attractive 1912 art nouveau Egyptian temple, this is one of Siberia’s better museums. Arranged around a Cossack explorer’s ship, surprisingly well-presented exhibitions across the two floo…
Museum in Krasnoyarsk

Surikov Museum-Estate

The Surikov Museum-Estate preserves the house, sheds and vegetable patch of 19th-century painter Vasily Surikov (1848–1916). The heavy-gated garden forms a refreshing oasis of rural Siberia right in the city centre.…
Museum in Krasnoyarsk

SV Nikolai

Permanently docked below an ugly brown-concrete exhibition centre (formerly the Lenin Museum) is the SV Nikolai, the ship that transported future Soviet leader Vladimir Ilyich to exile in Shushenskoe and the future …
Museum in Krasnoyarsk

Literature Museum

This quaint museum within a glorious 1911 merchant’s mansion occasionally hosts classical music performances.
Zoo in Krasnoyarsk

Roev Ruchey Zoo

Take bus 50 or 50A to this humane zoo near the Bobrovy Log Ski Resort to see numerous Siberian species.
Museum in Krasnoyarsk

Surikov Art Museum

More of Surikov’s work is on show at the cute Surikov Art Museum.
Church in Krasnoyarsk

Intercession Cathedral

This pleasingly small old church dating from 1795 has an interior of unusually glossed and intricately moulded stucco framing haloed saints.
Church in Krasnoyarsk

Resurrection Church

The top-heavy but elegant Resurrection Church (1804–22) was decapitated in the 1930s but given a new tower in 1998–9. Its icon-filled interior billows with incense.
Notable Building in Krasnoyarsk

Chasovnya Chapel

For some spectacular city views climb Karaulnaya Hill (there's no bus) to the little chapel which features on the Russian 10-rouble banknote (now slowly being replaced with a coin). It was designed in 1855 by Konsta…