History

Settlements have been scattered around the southeastern stretch of the Transylvanian basin since the late Stone Age, though the first mention of the town – then ‘Uduorhel’ – was in 1333. Uduorhel grew as a market town and was granted privileges by Queen Isabella (then regent of Transylvania) in 1557, allowing it to thrive. Transylvanian prince Gábor Bethlen affirmed its status and rights in 1615. Several buildings in town are restorations of structures that date to its prosperous 16th to 18th centuries.