Sat-Şugatag & Around
Four kilometres south of Giuleşti is Sat-Şugatag, home to a wooden church dating from 1642. The church is famed for its fine, ornately carved wooden gate and 18th-century interior paintings (though they are not very well conserved). Sat-Şugatag was first documented in 1360 as the property of Dragoş of Giuleşti, a voivode and probably Moldavia's first ruler.
Mănăstirea is 1km east of Sat-Şugatag. Its tiny church, about 150m up the hill from a gravel road and a very rickety bridge, was built by monks in 1633. It was dissolved in 1787 during the reign of Austro-Hungarian Emperor Joseph II. The original monks' cells are on the northern side of the church, which can be seen through the window if the church is closed.
Three kilometres south of Sat-Şugatag is Hărniceşti, home to a marvellous Orthodox church dating from 1770. A footpath from the main road leads through a graveyard to the hillside church.
Four kilometres southwest of the village and resort of Ocna Şugatag, famed for saltwater thermal pools, is Hoteni, known for its folk festival, Tânjaua de pe Mara, held in early May to celebrate the first ploughing.