Resembling a gnome village, the Castelul de Lut complex has been created from clay, sand and pure whimsy. The self-styled 'clay castle of pixie valley' was built in the midst of tumbledown Porumbacu de Sus village, …
Next door to the Culture Palace is the County Council Building (1905–7), also secessionist in style. Its decorative orange and green tiled roof and ornate 60m watchtower have made it one of Târgu Mureş' most photogr…
This Eclectic-style building from 1913 houses the Archaeology & History Museum as well as the Philharmonic Orchestra. At the time of research it was undergoing a massive renovation.
Just east of the Roman Catholic cathedral, Canon's Corridor forms a series of 57 arches built between 1750 and 1875, part of the original baroque design as laid out by the Austrian master architect Franz Anton Hille…
This sumptuous neo-Renaissance building (1892) was designed by the Hungarian architect Miklós Ybl for the Arad-Cenad Railway Company.
A block south of the National History Museum is the birthplace of Matthias Corvinus, a 15th-century Hungarian king. This Gothic building is now the library of Cluj university’s Faculty of Arts.
Within this 1900-built hall, the union between Romania and Transylvania was signed and sealed on 1 December 1918. The National Union Museum is opposite.
The pretty and elaborate prefecture building for Dolj County dominates the eastern side of the central square. Here you'll find a plaque to Craiova's victims of the 1989 Romanian revolution.
The centre is dominated by the imposing neoclassical Culture Palace, which dates from the early 1950s and was one of the city's biggest post-WWII construction projects.
Miercurea Ciuc's City Hall is a pretty sight, painted yellow and white with rose windows.