Must sees: museums in Sighetu Marmatiei, Barsana Monastery, Mocanita – The Narrow Gauge Steam Train, Horses Water Falls, wooden churches, traditional households and craftsman, the salt mine in Turda.
City tours: Cluj Napoca, Baia Mare, Sighetu Marmatiei.
Activities: open air tours, mountain trails / sightseeing of mountains, lakes and waterfalls, the Mocanita circuit on the Vaser Valey, visiting isolated villages, bounding with locals and craftsman, picnic, local eats and drinks.
Particularities: very well preserved rural life, traditional villages, welcoming people, and spectacular mountain landscapes + multicultural urban atmosphere (Cluj).
Usually we do not offer standard / prepared in advance tours, as agencies do in general, that doesn’t mean that we cannot perform them, it’s just that we have a different approach.
Depending on available time and the area of main interest we suggest itineraries and objectives of possible tours in an efficient traveling manner. This is usually backed up by the priorities and the touristic objectives already in mind of the travelers.
We just prepared a short list of such possibilities, including some of the particularities, main objectives.
Maramures:- Sighetu Marmatiei: The Village Museum (open air), Ellie Wiesel Memorial House, the Merry Cemetery in Sapanta, Memorial Museum of the Victims of Communism and of the Resistance (actually it is a communist jail transformed intro a museum)
- Baia Mare: it has been a human settlement for the past 2000 years.The city has a charming old center lined with dining places and cafés.
- Wooden Churches, Monasteries and country side: Bârsana, The Church of Ieud (built in the 14'th century), probably the oldest church in Maramureș, and other UNESCO Heritage wooden churches and buildings in Șurdești, Rogoz, Desești, Poienile Izei, Budești, Sarbi.
- Nature:The Horses’ Waterfall in Rodnei Mountains surrounded by a breathtaking scenario and tranquility; The Nature Reserve of Pietrosu Rodnei (2303 m), glacier lakes; Ocna Șugatag: located in the Mara River Valley, it is popular for its salty mineral waters which provide health benefits; The Prislop Pass - the highest mountain pass in the country (1416 m).
- Hidden gems: we are proud of our non-mainstream approach. So, while we will not fail to include the attractions above on our itineraries, we typically try to deviate from standard Maramureș tours. In other words, we won’t take you where it’s easier to get or where you should go just because everyone says so. You’re absolutely free to choose the destinations and the routes that you desire. We will, of course, offer you support and suggestions to help you make your choices. Besides popular tourist sites, and city touring, we always try to show our clients the rural paradise of Maramureș. In this region, there are plenty lovely villages where you can explore the authentic Romanian lifestyle and get closer to nature and even to God. Some of these villages have become quite renowned in recent years, so you can expect to see other visitors around. Others, which are less popular and populated, will help you immerse in a tranquil and pleasant ambience where time seems to stand still.
Transylvania:- City tour in Cluj Napoca
- Salt mine in Turda
- Medieval town of Sighisoara
- Citadel in Alba Iulia
- Corvin Castle, Hunedoara
Particularities: very well preserved rural life, traditional villages, welcoming people, and spectacular mountain landscapes + multicultural urban atmosphere.